Home » Coaching Staff

Boy’s of Summer

14 April 2009 Deep Shades of Blue 5 Comments

Right now the players have just finished the most grueling part of the year. From January to April your body is just completely exhausted all the time. During spring ball you are still working out just as hard as normal, so the last few weeks have been extremely tough. For the next couple weeks players are going to shy away from the weight room and field for a little while trying to focus on finals (so they are eligible) and maybe even get out on a few dates now that they have all this free time.

From now until the start of Fall Camp there are no mandatory workouts. About 70% of the players treat this time as mandatory and hold each other accountable for getting the work done to prepare for the season. What the other 30% don’t realize is that these next few months are the most important of the season. All that hard work they just put in will go for not if they don’t continue to build on it.

Players will lift and run just like they have been doing and about half way through the summer they will start to throw the ball around in their on 7 on 7 drills. In 2006 and 2007 we filmed a lot of these drills with our own cameras so we could sit down together and watch how things were going.

Although it is important to keep to the workout schedule and keep working hard it is equally important this time of year to get out and get away from football a little. You need to have that one hobby or two that you can focus on outside of football to keep your mind off the stress. For me that was hunting, fishing and waterskiing. Everyone has their things.

By: Markell Staffieri

Welcome to the Deep Shades of Blue Community!

5 Comments »

  • Peter said:

    Markell, when I was wrestling in high school my coaches forbade us from doing anything that could get us injured and keep us off the mats for a while (even during the off season). That meant weren’t allowed to do things like ski, wakeboard, skydive, etc. Do Coach Mendenhall and the rest of the coaches/trainers place the same sort of restrictions on the football team? How strict are they on what the players are allowed/not allowed to do during the off season?

  • Jared Goulding said:

    No motorcycles allowed–oh wait.

  • Petey said:

    Was it Matt Berry who did the running of the bulls? Wonder what the coaches thought of that.

  • Markell Staffieri said:

    Peter,

    There are no real written rules on that kind of stuff. But if you are serious about playing and getting better than you probably won’t do anything too stupid…hopefully. The only time I have seen coaches/trainers say something is when a guy does do something stupid and gets hurt.

    Coaches understand 2 things. 1) We are still young and what to have a fun time in college. 2) We ultimately decided how much playing time we get, by how healthy and good we are. If you go out and get hurt, there is some guy to replace you. That’s your own bonehead mistake.

  • Appleseed said:

    Last year Matt Bauman hurt his foot in a fender bender on University while riding his scooter. When asked, Bronco couldn’t criticize him for riding a scooter because he now rides a Harley.

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.


three + = 4