Home » Former Cougars, NFL

Catching up with Kehl Vol. VII

30 October 2008 Deep Shades of Blue 17 Comments

This has been a rather crazy week!!  I tore some ligaments in my foot in last week’s game against the Steelers and so I haven’t had a ton of time for my weekly entry. The last couple days have been complete with X-Rays, MRIs, Doctor visits and much treatment in the team training room.  I included a picture of the play I was hurt on and as you can see I’m very fortunate and VERY grateful I wasn’t injured worse.  I should add – it is making great progress, and it looks as though I’ll be able to play this in this week’s big divisional rivalry game against ‘Americas Team’ – the Cowboys.  Anyway, I decided it would be both easier for me and a good time to reply to some of the questions and comments that have been asked in the comments section of Quinn’s blog:

Adam, on September 17th, 2008 at 9:56 am Said:
Quinn- this is awesome stuff. Thanks for getting Bryan to do this. And tell him we could have used a few more sacks out of him last year.

Adam, I couldn’t agree with you more!!! One of my greatest frustrations was in regards to pressure on the quarterback – and I would bug our coaches almost weekly that they should blitz me more.  But, it was to no avail…my lot was primarily to help in pass coverage, and so that’s what I dutifully did.  In an average game of 65 defensive snaps I usually rushed the quarterback on only about 10 of those (I would keep track) – how I would have loved to have been able to rush 35, 45, or 55 times!! (Obviously, not all 65 of those were passing plays – but in our conference, the majority were)

West, on September 24th, 2008 at 6:25 pm Said:
Oh so so sad! But now I gotta know what you sang, if they wouldn’t let you sing the fight song. What did you sing Kehl? What did you sing?! We gotta know.

This was given in response to my telling of how rookies are forced to stand and sing before meetings, repeatedly, while at training camp.  Anyway, I had to sing several times, and although the easy choice would be something along the lines of “Choose the Right” or “Popcorn popping on the Apricot Tree” I instead went with pop culture – here are the songs I can recall: Alicia Keys “If I aint got you”, The Temptations “Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch”, Boys II Men “I’ll make love to you” (probably the funniest of them all, due to the title of the song and the frightening fact that Jon Goff, the other rookie linebacker, and I sang it together…like a duet – oh, the pain!!)

bagotricks, on October 1st, 2008 at 10:10 am Said:
Kehl,

Thanks for taking the time to write a little for all of us who drink heavily from what you stand for.
I don’t want to sound preachy myself, but how do you make it to church? Are you able to have a calling with your nfl schedule?
I’m not around what you are, and I think for all of us keeping ourselves in the path of light and growth can be difficult at times. What do you do to keep your spirit strong?

Honestly, and perhaps to some very visibly, that is the hardest part about playing this level of football.  I already wrote about why I play the game, and why I chose to keep playing at this level – so check out those entries for more on that subject.  As for making it to church – doesn’t happen near as much as I’d like to.  I was able to go every week until the season started – but since there’s only been 3 times that I got to go.  However, coming up we do have some primetime games, so I am looking forward to those days as I should be able to slip away and attend in the morning.  I currently don’t have a calling, but I told the missionaries on Monday that if they don’t call me to go out teaching with them I will be ticked!!  My weekends are very busy, but my weeknights after work are pretty free.  In order to keep my spirit strong I try to stay away from the bad parts of the NFL and some of its players, and stay close to the good.  The team chaplain holds a bible study every Wednesday after practice and meetings that I attend, and we also have a devotional type meeting called “Chapel” every Saturday night in the hotel wherein either the chaplain or someone he invites gives a message (these can be both very odd and boring or very spiritual and very motivating).  Also, I told our community events coordinator to schedule me for every service opportunity they are involved with, and so that is always a nice chance to both give back and consequently be filled as most weeks we have a service event of some kind.  At any rate, in my time out here in the treacherous work-place I have found added support for my long-held belief that to ‘stay strong’ – “Search, Ponder, and Pray” works pretty well.  Don’t get me wrong – it is very hard, I feel very alone (only LDS player on the team), and, like I said, I question whether it’s worth it many days.  But, at the end of the day – all we can do is ‘fight the good fight’.

Welcome to the Deep Shades of Blue Community!

17 Comments »

• Jet said:

This is an excellent post. How LDS players take care of their spiritual needs in the NFL has always perplexed me, so thank you Bryan for sharing your experiences thus far. You are a wonderful example to all of us.

• Scott said:

Great stuff Bryan, thanks!

Great INT the other day too. Way to go!

Thanks for sharing the insights about the spirtiual side. I am sure that is difficult but it is great to hear how you try to maximize your opportunities.

Lucky missionaries! If they can’t get into doors with Bryan Kehl…..

• Scott said:

Where is the injury picture?

• West said:

Kehl – thanks for answering my question :) We were so excited to see you in the game against the Steelers. My sister is a big Steelers fan and we’re (obviously) Giants fans, so thanks for getting that win for us. Seriously, I love your posts – you’re a real inspiration and it’s fun to read about how you’re doing. Keep it up. You’re awesome.

• BretHutch said:

Is it possible for you to do firesides like BYU does on Saturday nights before your games? That might be a way to give back to the community as well as keep the spiritual tanks full. I know members in the area where BYU plays flock to those firesides. I bet you would get a big responce as well.

• Alex said:

All I can say Bryan is thanks. I especially enjoyed the post about church and what you do to stay strong in the gospel. My old job required me to periodically work Sundays and miss church, and I did similar things to keep the spirit in my heart and make Sunday a holy day at least on the inside.

I think its so important for BYU to have a strong football program, and for former BYU players and strong LDS players to have successful NFL careers. On one hand, it’s important to show that you can play the game the right way. On the other hand, it’s equally important to show people that while our church may be “peculiar,” we still know how to have fun. We can do “normal” things like football in our own “peculiar” way.

Thanks Kehl! Stay healthy and strong, and kick butt against everyone but my Colts!

• Quinn Gooch (author) said:

I am trying to get that picture resized and inserted in the post. Hopefully by the end of today.

• abqcoug said:

Bry,

I thought I had the biggest 7 year old Dolphins fan in the world when John was drafted, little did I know he shares the same compassion for the Giants as he admires you so much. You took the time to take a picutre with him after the UNM game your senior year in Abq when you came out of the locker room for an interview. You had a monster game! He loved NY before as he was born in Brooklyn, but now he watches your every down! Way to go, we’re proud of you. Keep it up. Rise and Shout! Thanks Quinn, great job!

• cougarblueutehater said:

Brian, what will it take to make your cousin Melanie P convert to cougarism?

• Kay said:

It made me smile a bit when you side stepped all the married questions…good for you…

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed it!

• Trey said:

Kehl,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I’m sure it is another way that you are giving back, since it takes away from precious personal time.

I’ve always wondered how professional athletes do it. I like this because it teaches our youngsters that the athletic high life is not necessarily all it is made out to be.

I totally relate to having to miss church for work and it sucks. As a DoD contractor I work with a lot of ex-military, and they try to live up to their reputation of being the lowest of all classes. It is extremely difficult to focus on the spiritual around such influences. One time I decided to wear a suit to work, hoping that wearing my Sunday’s best would remind me of the true purpose of the Sabbath. Of course, that raised a lot of eye brows from everyone else, who made comments like, “Where’s your name tag?”

I appreciate your example and your insight you shared in regard to why you do it. I’ve had to do the same thing. Why am putting up with this? I’ve decided that if what I do can contribute to protecting our country from our enemies, so that we can enjoy another day of freedom to watch Bryan Kehl play football, then it is worth it.

Keep the faith!

• BagOTricks said:

Thanks Bryan for answering my question. Although a lot of people can’t say they’re in the nfl, I think a lot of people can relate to having schedules or situations where they can’t make it to church as often as they’d like.

You’ll have to tell us how a few splits go if you make it out with the missionaries.

Keep strong brother, and although you must feel quite alone, know that you’ve got a whole cougar nation behind you. It probably sounds a little weird, and I know at BYU you have a band of brothers, but in another way that’s probably not as tangible, you have a band of family, all of us who care about all the lives of those who have given so much to BYU.

Sorry about your injury, you had a great game. Nice interception and return of 17 yards. Hope it heals fast.

Go Giants! Go BYU!

And thanks to all of you who serve our country.

• BagOTricks said:

And P.S.

Quinn,

I think we should have everyone post a picture and blurb of who they would want to hook Kehl up with. Ha ha. Cuz I know who I want him to marry, I just need to make sure they allow me to be the agent for their children since she is 6’2″, blonde and beautiful.

Oh, incase you think it’s weird for me to say she’s beautiful, I am married, and I’m the wife, so it’s okay. Yep, I’m one of those females who lives for the fall, football and pheasant hunting.

• Mars said:

Kehl, I hope the injury heals soon.

God bless.

• kiyoshige said:

Whoa, BagOTricks
    Kind of a personal post for this blog, eh? I’m sure Bryan has a LOOOONGGG list of 6’2″, blonde and beautiful pheasant hunters, or was that just you ;)

Here’s to all of our Most Eligible LDS Bachelors and Bacherlorettes (Bryan does Steve Young have some kind of mantle to pass along to you?), wishing them happiness in their personal endeavors and to join the ranks of us married folks in their own time.
    Ki

• BagOTricks said:

Ki,

Uh, I wasn’t the one looking. And it was a joke. I’m married. I was saying I knew of someone, not that it was me. I’m sure he’s hit up all the time for blind dates, but since someone mentioned the avoidance of the topic, I thought I’d joke a little.

I wish Kehl the best with his personal life.

• kiyoshige said:

BOT,
    Of course you aren’t looking. I read your whole post and knew you were married and joking, this is all good fun, thus the ;). I just was a little confused about whether or not your eligible friend was also a pheasant hunter? I was using exaggeration in my humor, because although I’m sure the list is long for any eligible LDS NFL player, it likely does not include many who are skilled in pheasant hunting. But, who knows, if we don’t start supporting this website with some $$$, maybe the webmaster will WANT to have folks post pictures and blurbs a la match.com.

And, in this economic downturn, getting locked in as their agent now is quite entrepreneurial.

Anyway, this has gotten way off the subject. Let’s go hunt some Rams! And, thanks to QG for feeding my obsession with BYU football.

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: